Are you ready for shocking news about your fat loss workout? Well, here’s the truth. You do NOT need to do slow, boring cardio to burn fat. In fact, cardio is probably a big waste of your time!
Instead, your fat loss workout should be short, fun, and effective. In fact, you can stop going to the gym 6 days per week for 90 minutes at a time and instead start working out only 3 times per week for 45 minutes (or less) per session.
Here are 5 simple steps to changing your fat loss workout so that it burns belly fat and helps you get more results in less time.
1) Cut out the cardio. Cardio machines lie and you aren’t really burning as many calories as the calorie counter says. Plus, research shows that even hundreds of hours of cardio per year barely make a dent in your belly fat. It’s just so darn ineffective that I can’t let you do it anymore!
If Not Long, Slow Cardio, Then What?
2) Replace the cardio with 20 minutes of interval training done at the end of your fat loss workout. Interval training has beat slow cardio workouts in a head to head study for burning belly fat. Plus, that study tested only 20 minutes of interval training compared to 40 minutes of slow cardio, so you can cut your workout time in half!
3) Start your workout with 3-5 minutes of general bodyweight exercises to prepare your body for your workout. Forget about the 10 minutes of walking on a treadmill to warm-up since that does nothing to prepare you for fat burning. There are hundreds of bodyweight exercises you can do, but for your
warm-up you should do prisoner squats, easy pushups, and stability ball leg curls.
The Best Way to Transform Your Body is Resistance Training
You can build muscle and burn fat at the same time with resistance training, and you can even do the best workouts at home. Here are the key factors for getting the best fat loss workout done in little time.
4) After the body weight warm-up but before the interval training, you’ll do 10-20 minutes of superset strength training or body weight circuits to sculpt your muscles and add more calorie burning to your fat loss workout. You won’t get big and bulky doing this, but if you want to gain muscle, we’ll add more supersets to the program and cut back on the interval training.
5) You’ll do all of this in only 45 minutes, three times per week. On your off days, do something fun rather than more cardio that you hate. Pick some workouts or activities that keep you active and off the couch for at least 30 minutes.
What Should You Do on "Off-Days"?
Yoga, sports, walking the dog, playing with your kids, it’s all good! You don’t need to go into a gym, but you can if you want. Just don’t get hung up on the "more cardio is needed" mentality! That will only stress you out and slow down your fat loss.
So a sample workout would go like this. Start your warm-up with prisoner squats, easy pushups, and stickups. Then do a superset of split squats and advanced pushups (for your fitness level). Follow that with a superset of dumbbell rows and stability ball leg curls. Finish with 20 minutes of interval training. That’s it for a fast fat loss workout!
For interval training, you can use cardio machines, exercise outside, walk hills, use medicine ball exercises, run in place, or try some of my body weight cardio workouts.
You don’t need to do long cardio in a fat loss workout to get results! If you follow the guidelines I have outlined and combine it with a quick warm-up and the proper weights, then you can get a great total body resistance and interval training workout in only 45 minutes that will burn fat and build muscle at the same time. That’s how you transform your body!